I have only a few short weeks of work left before Christmas, and before I finish up at the agency. I’m headed back to law school next year, and while I’m really happy about it, it means I have to leave my beloved Sydney and move back to Canberra for the better part of the year.
I really do love Sydney. I went through a period in the middle of this year where I wasn’t so keen on it. The people, the noise, the hurried nature of city life had turned me off completely. But now that the weather is warming up again and it’s hitting the festive season, I’m loving it. It helps that I’ve just wrapped up uni for the semester so I can accept invitations to dinners, parties and afternoon drinks without feeling guilty for not studying!
Getting back into the swing of things in Canberra will be difficult, and I’m sure I’ll come down with a post Sydney depression. But I have to keep reminding myself that it’s only for 10 months, and that I’m there to do a job – get my law degree. After that, the world is my oyster.
There are some things I’m going to do to help make study and Canberra more bearable though. In no particular order:
- Kit out my new room! I’m planning on making my room a great place to study and a haven for downtime – more on that to come.
- Keep moving. I’ve learnt over the last couple of years that nothing keeps me calm, relaxed and energised like exercise. I like to hit the gym in the middle of the morning, or in the afternoon before the post-work rush. Being a student is definitely more conducive to my work out regime!
- Work. Both for school and for money. I’m a much more disciplined student when I’m employed, and I have a shopping habit to support. This does entail finding a job – anyone know of anything going?!
- Blog more regularly. I’ve seriously neglected this little nook of the internet. I really do love writing for pleasure and I’m keen to hone my style a little more. Blogging is definitely something that I do in ‘me time’ and it’s so revitalising to escape into words and share a little about myself.
- Reward myself – with trips to Sydney! (And new clothes of course.) One of the best things about living in Sydney this year has been the consolidation of some amazing friendships. I’m really lucky that a lot of acquaintances from uni also moved to Sydney at the same time, and we formed a great group. See my Batyr post for some of my baben’ friends. I’ll miss these girls so much, but it’s only a few hours in the car at the end of a disciplined week of study and I can hang out with them, and let it all go on the d-f!
What are you plans for next year? Moving cities? Going back to study or starting a new job? Let me know how you’ll cope…